Heart disease affects a lot of people. This can lead to disability and even death. Lowering your risks of heart disease is the way to preventing heart disease.
Any primary care doctor in Elgin, Illinois will tell you that lifestyle changes are important in prevention. Before we go deeper into the prevention tips you can use, you first need to know what the risk factors are.
The Risk Factors of Heart Disease
There are two categories for these risk factors — the controllable and the non-controllable. Engaging in consulting services in Arlington Heights, Illinois will help you identify which risk factors you can control or not.
Non-Controllable Risk Factors
Some of the risk factors that you do not have control over include the following:
- Age – The older you are, the higher your risk is in developing heart disease.
- Family History – If a close family member has heart disease, this increases your risk of getting one, too.
- Race – Certain races or ethnicities have higher chances of developing heart disease.
- Gender – While this condition affects both men and women, the risk factors may be different between the two.
If you have a high risk of developing heart disease, visit a medical clinic in Illinois. Talk to your doctor about your risk factors.
Heart Disease Prevention Tips
Your primary care doctor in Arlington Heights, Illinois can provide you with specific tips on how to reduce your risks of developing heart disease. This will depend on your risk factors. Yet, the following are general tips on what you can do for prevention.
- Keep your blood pressure levels under control.
- If you have diabetes, keep it under control, too.
- Aim to maintain your healthy level of weight.
- Be sure to get regular exercise and consume healthy foods.
- Avoid smoking.
- Limit your alcohol intake.
- Know how to cope well with stress.
- Get plenty of sleep.
Doctor Sanchez Medical Care provides a variety of services. These services focus on caring for older adults and addressing their medical needs. Contact us for inquiries.